Snow day!

 The snow came down lightly but not for long. The total on the ground looks to be about 2.5 inches or so. There is more in town or so I hear. DH was assigned to babysit the grandkids yesterday. Surprisingly it went well he said. On his arrival home I had dinner ready, and I was not impressed with it while cooking. (New recipe) However, by the time it was served it was it was much better! Not sure I would ever make it again, but I was glad that it did turn out better than first appearances led me to believe.

It was a long day with the everyone in the house being tired of being held hostage inside these walls.

This was the less than impressive dinner. In the end it was not bad. Well, it is 0342 and the house has been on fire since 0215. Luckily, SIL had been up getting the important things out of her room and she is dressed and ready to go. I, however, am still in my pj's. It is -4 degrees outside. I am not going out into that kind of weather. I mean really, if it is that cold out there and there is a toasty warm fire in here. I think I best stay inside.

Now back to the real world. Our dilemma is what to do in this situation. If we did not have the little girls, this would not be a problem at all. We do have two little girls, and luckily, school has been cancelled for the morning; even so the disruption of sleep for a frantic person packing up to leave can be overwhelming.

She has every pillow from her bed on the table. These are the important things to her. Of course, there are other things, and she has those in a plastic laundry basket. She is not hungry, she is thirsty, her legs are burning. She will not sit down.


In the pantry there are some old leashes and other things hanging from an over the door coat hook. She has located these and now wants to put leashes on the dogs and get them out of the fire. Glad to know they are important! This is our bonding time. These are the things that cause you to care about a person with dementia. Watching them suffer breaks your heart and builds a protective spirit of caring.


As she sits and stares into space, I feel the urgency of the fire is dying away. We might get back to bed by 0500! Then again, we may not. Most of the time she is staring at me but not seeing me. Today she is not happy that I am having breakfast while I try to assure her that the house is NOT on fire. Hey, just because she won't eat doesn't mean I should wait. I will need the nutrition to continue fighting the blaze... right?

She finally sat down while I ate a bowl of cereal. Now I thought she fell asleep, I was wrong, I am to get my boots on and get the kids. I have no boots.

Don't let the closed eyes fool you. She is not asleep. Not getting back to bed by 5...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow