Holiday ho hums and wow its January 2017!

Hi folks! Life here is as busy as ever! Can you believe it is 2017?! We are still trying to play catch up with giving gifts for Christmas 2016... I have to face facts some of these may never be passed to the intended recipient and that is that. In the mean time I must find a place to store them and remember where they once the recipient is located or visits.. whichever happens first.

We are continuing with homeschooling and I feel refreshed in my efforts to get these two settled on a path towards knowledge. I have come to grips with the fact that I must work all of 2017 and pick up an extra shift every week in order to pay off our debt in 7 years. I listed items on Ebay with not the best results so in the spring I will have a garage sale to get rid of the baby things that are no longer needed.  And I may try to list more on Listia as that was a good experience.

You may recall the gas lines on our stove/oven appliance broke and we resolved not to dip into the emergency fund to replace them ( that is at an all time low of $200), so we were using the nu wave oven and two induction cook tops that had been paperweights up to now. That was an eye opener for me.  I love using the nu wave oven and my spouse took a strong liking to the induction cooktop. This January, is going to be crockpot month. I want to use the crockpot for 50% or greater of our dinnertime meals. And we plan to start growing fodder to supplement our chickens. Finally got the hubs to look at some videos of systems that others have built. :)

The month started with a ham in the crockpot and the next day followed with bean and ham soup. That took two days actually as it was quite good and there was plenty! I gave in and got the parts for the gas stove so I could have the large oven for bread making. The regular stove is fixed and we had corn muffins to go with the beans and ham.  I do like baking in the nu wave but have yet to master times for muffins, quick breads and have not even tried regular bread as my loaf pan is way to generous to fit in there. The loaf I like to make is 15x4x4 it will fit in the counter top roaster but I haven't tried this yet either. We had nu wave chicken nuggets with rice and cheesy broccoli, and I tried making rice in my steamer. That was good but not fast!  And it requires that you season it later.
egg omelets in the nu wave


I broke out the large rice cooker for the orange chicken one night and tonight was planned to be chili but there is so much rice left we will opt for pork fried rice.


One night we were very bad and I went to the General Store, which is under new management and is primarily a Hispanic market.  She carries a really large variety of items and one of those is take and bake pizza from Costco.  Never had that before so we tried it.  The crust was terrible in my opinion and that won't be bought again. My homemade crust is sooo much better and cheaper and I cheat in the winter I use my bread machine to mix it up. But that takes 50 minutes and the natives were really restless so I gave in to the request for store pizza.

I am being totally lazy today and I have spent the day in bed late! I did not get up until almost nine am!!! That has not happened in a very long time! In my defense though I was up until 2300 and then up again at 0200 with the youngest so she could go potty.  Then I had to lay down with her in her bed and she and the other one got up at 0515.  At that time I went to my own bed and left them to my DH to care for.  Told you I was lazy today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow