Change... not for the timid, or faint of heart


July is here and I am so far behind on everything and anything I have started in the last six months it is mind boggling!  Our schedules have changed to 12 hour shifts and it seems to have made a big difference for most of the staff in a positive way.

I still need to catch up tons of paperwork on my workdays and as soon as I recover from all the excitement that took place during the changeover I will attack the pile of stuff.

At least the company didn't come in and clean house!  A few people did not continue on with the new system for various and unknown reasons. This has been upsetting for some of the residents and actually some of the staff too.  There are plenty of familiar faces though and that does help the transition.

Before the new company actually took over most of us were contemplating our fate.  Not necessarily in a negative way, just in a "taking inventory" way.  Myself, I looked into different options in the Nursing field, but I also began to think outside the box just a little harder.  In fact if you read my posts on even a sporadic basis you may have seen some of those ideas listed.

As the days continue and we all adjust to new ideas and new management, new ideas and new friends come into our world.  Then there is the down side of change, as we move through our second full week as a team I am given the sad news that I cannot have nurses on the cart passing medications while I am in the management position (Monday-Friday).  My stomach feels sick and my heart heavy as I realize I have two nurses to take off the schedule. One is a recent graduate of an RN program waiting to take boards and the other a recently licensed practical nurse and a cancer survivor who plans to return to school sometime in august. 

Certainly it shouldn't be that hard! Especially since almost every day one or the other has asked if nurses will be able to continue working in this area of the building. 

Well a full week has passed since I had the sad task of redirecting co-workers to other areas of the building.  I discovered two things during this time, first Never underestimate the power of a soft answer, and secondly never bank on how you think someone will respond.

The second of these two lessons is probably more important during transition than the first. While passing on the information I was actually expecting a very mellow reaction from the LPN as she had been the one asking most often about the fate of the nurses and also the one whom I had discussed the chances of this event occurring with. Boy was I wrong!  In the hindsight of reality the benefit of a soft answer and quiet delivery may have deflected some of her anger.

I expected the almost RN to be the most upset and she just said "okay, let me know if you need any time off and I will cover it".  I was blown away by the reactions of both.  I was also glad that at least one of them was willing to still pick up in my area, since I will need her this coming week to cover while my DH has back surgery for spinal stenosis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow