How to live without a cell phone... Because you have no idea where it is this week.

Do you ever sit and reminisce about the days without cell phones? I confess I have but mostly when I leave the thing somewhere and it takes a total stranger calling me to let me know they have found it. That was the case this week. Father's Day was a fun day and seemingly benign for events... sort of.  So on with the week!

Monday was just another day at work it seemed and then it was time to go home. During the day DH decided to clean the fish tank. Our conversation the day before revealed that he was feeding the fish in addition to me feeding them before I left the house each day. This explained why the thing was so stinking cloudy you could hardly see any fish! I arrived home to the usual "what did you get me?!" from the youngest. All residents except cats and puppies were outside to greet me.

Dinner was decided on and we went inside to get started on the evening. I started the main part went up to the second floor and saw all the fish in a big bowl! The really dirty tank with about 3 inches of water still in it had been moved about 6 feet south of its' prior location. So down the stairs I went to get the details from DH. Oh yes he had started to clean it and got busy with another project and why yes he will finish that tank cleaning thing... tomorrow. I explained to him as nicely as I could that tomorrow would be too late for the fish in the bowl who were currently gasping at the surface of the water bowl.

Dinner was put on hold and I started in on project "save the fish". It took about 90 minutes give or take to get the tank ready to fill again. DH decided it would be faster to bring the garden hose in through a window to refill the tank. I stated my thoughts on that, which by the way did not agree with bringing a garden hose in the house, and he stated his typical officer tone answer while raising another octave. While he went to gather up the hose I started filling five gallon buckets in the bathtub. A thunderstorm erupted and delayed his progress. By the time he returned sans garden hose I had the tank 3/4 full. he grabbed a bucket, grumbling as he went and we finished the job. Pepe and I checked the garden, for damage from the storm and watered in the greenhouse. Dinner became cereal for the littles and nothing for the Bigs. So much for Monday.

Tuesday was doctor rounds, like any Tuesday it is bit crazy. The Provider puts the orders in the computer, we talk and try to figure out the problems of the week and then she leaves and I get one hundred questions from the residents and the rest of the evening we text back and forth... but not this Tuesday. One of us seems to be short a cell phone. What did we do before cell phones?! Now where did I put that thing? Better question is when did I have it last? Going home presented new challenges, no cell phone so I have no idea what he wants me to get on the way home. Hmm.. what did we do before the electronic leash?

It proved interesting to arrive home without knowing what new "project" DH had started. Once there I learned he decided today was the day to "integrate" the chickens! Reds with whites, blacks with whites and reds... Let's just say chickens are prejudice when first intermingled. The rest of the evening was spent trying to catch the smaller chickens. If I had found the cell phone there would be videos of that event! What did we do before cell phones for pictures? That much I remember! Kodak cameras! Wish I had one of those again!

Wacky Wednesday is upon us and Lily and I have great plans for the eve of her birthday. I remembered that she has been waiting desperately for a package in the mail from "gramma", so armed with a box from work and all the wrapping stuff I could find in a closet, I headed to Toy R Us. I picked out what "gramma" was sending, drove to a local McDonalds in what seemed to be 90 degree weather, to wrap and pack. Now if you drove by that place and saw me switching packages from the trunk to the driver's seat and then to a box in the back seat, while dripping with sweat, you may have thought "she's crazy". I am. But the girls are to the age that they remember what the other kid got in the mail. On the road again I pondered, what if they are at the mailbox? Or peering out the window watching the mailbox? How exactly was I going to pull off this "surprise"? If I had a cell phone I could have called ahead and warned DH. If....

I arrive home with a box sealed loosely with scotch tape, stop at the mailbox and act like I am picking something up. I open the back door of the car, fiddle some and shut the door and drive up the driveway to the house hoping no one actually saw me. Yay! They are all on the dirt hill facing south and no one saw me. The excitement on her face when she sees there IS a box from "gramma" is priceless! The look on the face of DH is just as amusing! He was already out to the mailbox today and there was no package then. Some people.....



To be continued....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow