August...

August is here and things have not changed around here very much at all. That could be considered good and then again maybe not so much. We have been able to get 4 out of 8 trees planted. One shed emptied, but the contents are still to be dealt with. Over half of the contents went into the dumpster. All that is left are some things that are still useful... to someone. The challenge is how to get them to that destination.


The above picture is a "Pomato" plant. Yes it is a real thing. No I didn't buy it, at least not on purpose. It came mixed in with a bunch of seed potatoes that I bought from Walmart. It grows cherry tomatoes above ground and white potatoes below. I wish I could tell you how it tasted but the planted withered before the tomato ripened and produced only one potato.
A morning egg gather

My chicken chasing kiddo

The variety of potatoes harvested

The potato bag dumped

The potato bag before dumping

Not many chickens can avoid her

This one is her favorite


School starts in 10 days. I am hopeful that I will have time to accomplish some of the things I would like to do. Not sure though time seems to slip through my fingers these days. Most days I accomplish at least one thing on my to do list. Other days I am able to do more. Lately, the youngest is "bored" only having my attention will cure the situation.

So on the days that I care for my two granddaughters not much is done due to the youngest being all hands on at this stage. On the other days the youngest of this household is all hands on! Hopefully school will keep her occupied.

As August moves forward and the nights get cooler and the days scorch the fields, I try to steal a few moments of quiet before the household erupts with life. This morning, I made breakfast sandwiches as the oldest of the kids broke the quiet of the night. None the less with the youngest still asleep the quiet is still here.

Now just for the record I am not saying the child is the cause of all the noise around here. However, where there is noise you will generally find her. If she is not chasing chickens, screaming as she runs from turkeys (who BTW are not chasing her), howling with the dogs or just begging someone to (usually me) play "fake" fidget trade with her then she is just singing at the top of her lungs!

One day back in June I sat down and tried to compile a list of everything that needed to be done before October. It became a 4 page rant. I don't recall have so many things to get done when I worked full time. I am sure I did, I just don't recall. 

Containment has become my watchword. The dogs are finally contained. Outdoors and most of the time indoors too. At least at night they are getting used to sleeping in the floor in the living room area instead of near me. The shedding affects the youngest one's allergies so badly. Only two of the dogs shed but daily I can vacuum enough shed fur to build another dog. The turkeys and ducks are contained. Now to figure out the chickens.
Congress trying to get in the duck door

Turkey hens having brunch

One of the four peach trees planted


Monday is dumpster day and I try to have the dumpster filled to the brim on that day. Most weeks I can get it done, even more so with a little help. This week I asked DH to take a saw to an old couch sitting in the back field. It was at the house in town when we bought it. It came out here in an effort to clean up that yard. Now I am trying to clean up this yard and paying for help to finish the other yard. That couch is in the dumpster now.
She does not appreciate her cage

The pantry got cleaned

Summer break... literally

Again the chickens need containment

Gramma's little helper

Queen of the hill

Baby spuds!

Happy pups!

Not so happy turkey

Siding left to do on henhouse


Next week there is a couch in another shed that will get the same treatment I hope. The last couch will go after that. It won't need much as the dogs have destroyed it and it is in their pen for them to chew on. That said they have since started in on my one chair in the living area. Okay my one upholstered chair. I do have my sewing table chair and a rocking chair and of course multiple folding chairs for the kids. Not exactly my dream living room, and this house wasn't my dream house either so I am good.

If I can get the rest of the trees planted this week I will be happy. That will give me the rest of August to get the henhouse in order for the changing season.

Well I better close for this post and get crackin' on that 4 page rant!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow