The cool down

 No, I do not mean the weather as it shows no sign of cooling down at this time. It is the end of the third week of school for the kiddos. We had planned to fly back to Oklahoma tomorrow, however we are going to wait two weeks. I need time to emotionally cool off. I really thought the 100-acre property would be where we were going to land. After seeing it, I know we cannot. If DH almost falling off the porch weren't enough to say no the sunken jacuzzi bathtub in the master bath was. The drop-off behind the back porch was another incentive not to buy. If we were a bit younger and not bringing a wheelbarrow of dementia and fall risks with us, then the place was beautiful.

The triple digit weather got to DH. The last day we were there he was ready to head back to the hot plains of Colorado. Once here he quickly wanted to go look at other properties in the triple digit state, and frankly so did I. I am not sure what it is that I do not care for about where I live. I do know it isn't any one thing, it is multiple things. today the wind has continued to blow hard and cool things off a bit.

I continue to pack so that rooms can be painted, and carpets cleaned. This leaves the place in a perpetual state of chaos. We are under a flash flood watch until 3am tomorrow. I have plenty to do outside and two things are checked off my list as of today. The evaporative cooler is in, finally! It wasn't actually in my plans for this year, but it got hot enough that DH took it upon himself to install this. Short of a disaster it is in fact working now the correct way. Bonus points for me, for not killing anyone. The current temperature is only 63 degrees, so we do not really need the cooler right now, but kudos anyway.

It has been three years that I have been without a screen door on the sliding glass door off of the kitchen. Today I resolved that it would be repaired and the screen guard that I purchased 2 years ago to prevent the dogs from destroying the screen again would be installed. 

My daughter trying to figure out the drill

Stand back everyone

This will teach her to arrive mid project

son in law drilling pilot holes


To be sure we tried to force the screws through the metal first, they were not self-tapping screws. My son-in-law came in just in time to help us out. Another project that was meant to help with the heat and keep flies out at the same time. Too chilly today to keep the glass door open. But hey it is done for later. 

Getting the chicken house blocked off from the chickens' running crazy in it and also getting the east pen covered and the nests cleaned out for winter is on the list for tomorrow. I did manage to get the south end of the pen blocked off for now.
East side of chicken coop overgrown

Weeds as tall as me

crazy amount of weeds

Teenage chickens hiding behind the door

hens on their new roosting bar

One lone chicken on the nest boxes

south end barrier

There is at least two weeks' worth of work to do to get the coop ready for winter. I do plan to get started on that tomorrow afternoon. But first we have a birthday party in the park for the granddaughter who turned 10! We have a grandson birthday on Monday, but he lives in Pennsylvania, so he will get an e-gift card.

That is enough for today it is the weekend finally and I have an early morning tomorrow. Men's breakfast and the biscuits will not cook themselves... not yet anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

As Summer comes to an end...