Curriculum vs Free style, Broody hen and Happy Birthday!

This morning thumbing through the latest curriculum that was purchased, disappointment tried to sneak it's ugly veil over me. The books were chosen because this is the same curriculum that we used for number 7 & 8 in the beginning. Then I started reading the teacher's book and realized DH is not going to read this nor follow any of the activities that are suggested. This solidifies my thoughts that evening shift is the way I need to go or Baylor's for the time being. 


There were doubts as to whether the girls are getting enough and looking through these books assured me we are doing okay. It's not perfect but Free style isn't failing. We won't do all the things in these manuals because we actually have covered a lot of it without clear guidelines. We will be sticking to the basics and plugging along. Reading what others have done can be inspiring and frustrating knowing we aren't doing that yet and may not get there.

It has been a very busy week! Meetings, interviews and lots of decisions to make. A birthday party, eviction of the littlest chicks to the outdoors and hen house clean out. I was concerned that the chicks were not going to be ok out in the cold with the wind. So concerned that one morning the wind woke me at 0325 and I rushed outside to make sure they were covered. The covering had blown off so I tried to get it better situated and then went to work.

Let me tell you herding chickens is just one step away from herding cats. But they are doing okay and egg production is up where it should be. One broody hen made her way into the section with the chicks and snuggled them... of course I didn't have my phone with me to take a picture..Grrr! She also laid an egg at my feet! That was cool to have happen. I wonder what she will think when her little feathered peeps turn out to be a different breed...


So in all the chaos that is my life I elected not to do a home birthday party this year. We went to Chuck E Cheese and actually bought a party package instead of just gong there to celebrate after a home party. We kept it small, just family and she had a great time. Was it worth $13.99 per kid? I think it was. They received more game points than they would have with us just walking in the door and buying pizza and tickets. There was also a dedicated server to host the party and she was very attentive to details and getting the mascot out there to dance with the kids. We still had to provide the cake or purchase one from them but all in all it was worth it to me.


Those are a few of the pictures from the party there were many more on the camera maybe they will get posted some day.
While I had to work that day I was able to leave early attend the party and then return to work to finish a few things... Oh who am I trying to kid it is never finished when I leave!

The birthday girl had fun and I had no mess to clean up and no guests to chase out of the house at 10pm on a work night.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow