Six days and counting... what to do with my time

So this is what it feels like to be unemployed... exhausted and the list of things to get done is longer than when I was employed! The hardest part so far is learning to say "no" to doing favors for others when it negatively impacts my family. Especially when it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to just do it. 

Time management isn't always easy. Yes, I was just sitting at the computer while the kiddos were outside. Yes, I did answer the call from the requester. It seems when a request starts out with "I have a really strange but crazy favor I wanted to ask you. If you could do it..".  Then drags on about how weird the request or how huge the request is without saying what the request is. Generally it turns out it is something that I don't want to do. It usually comes with the emphasis on how much the requester would appreciate fulfillment of the deed. Almost veiled, in the idea that agreement to perform is sought out before the details are revealed.

In this particular case it would have meant driving in rush hour traffic in a vehicle without air conditioning with two kids that had to be pulled away from playing with friends. Rush hour traffic here isn't like say, L.A., but it still sucks. Though my tasks at hand could have been postponed with no harm done, I decided the hot car was not where the girls would be happy. It would be my ears hearing the whining about the heat, the traffic, the not riding our bikes and generally driving me crazy. 

So I didn't say no but instead asked my friend to text me the address whenever the lady sent it. Fifteen or so minutes later she sent the address and of course the kiddos did NOT want to get in the car. I sent her a back and asked if she was on her way there yet. She replied no her kid was cranky so she was going to put her down for a nap. (if you need clarification on what this is see the prior post) Hmm... I sent her another message and suggested that maybe she could ask if the item could be held for her until tomorrow.

Apparently it could so problem solved! No I did not volunteer to pick it the next day. How could I have solved the problem better? If you have any ideas please put them in the comments. I am positive I will be in the same situation again in the near future. ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow