Anger, Resolve... Consequences



 Yesterday when I went to put SIL into bed for the night, I had the chance to talk with the nurse that was on duty when the incident occurred. Her nonchalant attitude really hit me the wrong way. She admitted that she never bothered to look at the "bruise" that was reported to her. It was more than that to me though. She did not seem to care that SIL sat with a broken bone all day when she could have been seen at an urgent care.

This week I will weigh the pros and cons of the environment that SIL is in. Yes, I understand that falls are going to happen, but neglect doesn't have too. I have had some time to think of the needs of both my kiddos and those of SIL. She certainly needs more than the facility is able or willing to provide.

There was a poll a few years back that surveyed people about who was trusted more, a nurse or a doctor. Nurses won hands down. They obviously didn't poll people involved with the nurses of this facility! One day when I was entering the facility for a visit, I overheard a family member voicing what she was promised on placing her loved one in their care. Same thing we were promised, nurses until 10pm, a nurse on call around the clock to come in at the drop of a patient to the floor. 

None of that was true. The nurses that are there rarely make patient contact. As evidenced by our recent experience and the one before that, and the one before that, oh and I almost forgot... the one before that one too. Disappointment doesn't even begin to touch the depth of frustration that I feel. Thankfully, her fall only broke a small bone, but what is next?

I sent a message to the nurse that was on duty. I was loud and I was clear. I said it to her over the phone in an active phone call. Her opinion was also loud and clear to me, she has no empathy or feeling of responsibility in any way shape or form. To be clear, I do not fault her for the fall. Just the response or the lack thereof.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

morning calm

To be or not to be... that is NOT the question!

Black Friday... White Snow